Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Top 5 (classic) Books for Baby

You know what all of those dreamy-looking nursery photos that you see on Pinterest all have in common? Books. A bookshelf full of beautiful, classic, board books for baby. Who wouldn't want to have a full bookshelf in their nursery so baby can grow up and be super smart??? Books are timeless and fun, full of memories for us and memories-to-be for baby. They say that the more books you have in your house, the smarter your baby will be. It could have something to do with socioeconomic status, but sure, let's say it's the books anyway!

Like this post? Pin it! (& follow Oh.em.gee it's Nikkie on Facebook!)

Want to see how we made these bookshelves? Read this!

What are some books that you remember from your childhood? I came up with 5 books that I put on the boys' baby registry/Christmas lists so that they can have them for their own mini library. Books make great baby shower gifts (along with something simple, like diapers!) since you can write a "card" on the inside cover and call it a day! Several people did that for our shower and whenever I open up a book, I tell the boys who it was from.

Rainbow Fish: We got the box set of 3 board books as a gift. They matched our nursery decor (sharks, gray/white/blues) perfectly on our bookshelves but more importantly I remembered the Rainbow Fish story for my childhood. I'm pretty sure Andy never had any of these books growing up because he claims he has never heard of them and he has no emotional attachment to them. He was more of an electronics guy, though. The 3-set of Rainbow Fish books are great for more than just entertainment and their sentimental value - the 3 pack lets me read one out loud while the boys each put one in their mouths! How convenient!
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom: Another blast from the past. I can still remember the tune? rhyme? iambic pentameter? whatever style it was written in playing in my head, but without the words. Andy refuses to read this book because he thinks it's stupid but I think it is fun and the boys LOVE looking at all the bright colors, shapes, letters...


Corduroy: I have this one the boys' Christmas lists. It's a classic book, in my opinion and I can't wait to read it to them some day. I'll probably also take them to Build-A-Bear one day and let them make their own "Corduroys." What a fun trip that will be!


The Very Hungry Caterpillar (and friends!): We received this set of 3 board books as another gift. These stories are fun and classic. They also have a caterpillar toy to go with the story and I plan on having a "Very Hungry Caterpillar" themed first birthday (or maybe second birthday... the 1 year mark is already creeping up super fast!) party for them.


Oh.em.gee! They're already more than 7 months old! Insertmeltdownhere!


Oh, The Places You'll Go!: I don't specifically remember this book from my childhood. I should have my mother verify if I did or did not have it I suppose, but it's a classic and it's Dr. Seuss. You can't have a nursery bookshelf without some good ol' Dr. Seuss. If I ever get the honor of hosting a baby shower in the future, I'm going to purchase this book and use it as the guest book, having each guest write a note to baby throughout it. That's not my idea, of course, you can thank Pinterest.

What books did you grow up with and now have on baby's book shelf?

2 comments:

  1. I see "All my friends are dead" on your shelves. Excellent parent's book.

    I had to get "Each Peach Pear Plum" and " The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear" for my children. It seems both have maintained their popularity and are now available as board books, which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of those books, I will have to look into them! And so far we have held off on reading "All My Friends Are Dead" to the babies but any visitors get a kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete