Wednesday, August 13, 2014

What I Ate Wednesday - Baby Edition



Last week was World Breastfeeding Week 2014 - my babies skipped it. They decided to celebrate the deliciousness of formula (and some solids) instead. From my previous post, you know that we stopped breastfeeding when the boys were 8 weeks old. It feels like a year ago. We have now been formula feeding for as long as we were breastfeeding and guess what, life goes on! Since switching to formula, we have a much happier (and healthier! Thank you Mrs. Mastitis and BFF Engorgement.) household and we are now a proud formula feeding family.

So what do my babies eat? How did I decide? Do I regret this decision?

Since we have 2 babies, we need something inexpensive. As inexpensive as formula gets. We feed the basic infant formula - Target store brand. Formula is required to meet all of the same standards. So why do you pay more for a name brand? Similac, Enfamil and the like all spend TONS of money advertising. And all of those "free samples" at the hospital and other samples - someone pays for them - you should know by now that nothing is ever really free. The people who pay the significantly higher prices for Similac and Enfamil are the ones who finance those samples. 

The Target brand formula we buy on sale and usually with a coupon. The large size lasts us for about 5 days between the two babies and cost us $16. Not bad. Not bad at all. How did we do it? The formula is usually $25. We waited until it was on sale and then we used a $20 off a $100 purchase. And then we cleared the shelf. Seriously, we did. If you looked in our kitchen cupboard, you would question whether or not we were formula hoarders. On the plus side, we got a great deal on it and now we don't have to worry about running out anytime soon. And! We can wait until another great deal comes along instead of paying the regular price.

I didn't decide to stop breastfeeding on my own account (some people would debate that... you can read my previous post and my post-to-come) but I'm glad that the decision was made for me and I now have more time and freedom to spend actually enjoying my babies instead of being a milk machine. Even if you include the time spent preparing bottles and washing bottles, still a huge time saver. And super convenient too. Many people love breastfeeding for the "convenience" but I have yet to see how it is more convenient... someone enlighten me!



I absolutely do not regret this decision. I do not, do not, do not. Formula is a fine alternative that has given me the freedom to enjoy my babies and my life more.

We are also enjoying solids one meal a day at this point - some of their favorite combinations include sweet potato/applesauce, carrots/pears/brown rice and carrot/mango/oatmeal purees.

This week I am going to be making and preparing blueberry, spinach, plum and peach purees to add to their freezer stash and introduce even more variety to their diet.

2 comments:

  1. I love your post. I did manage to BF Amber for 5 months before I simply could not fit it into my work schedule anymore. I was so stressed out and trying to find time to pump at work was just ridiculous. With Allison, I made it 5 weeks. I was beyond stressed trying to wrangle a 2.5 year old and it was completely eating me up. I finally just stopped and you know what, I don't regret my decision for one second. All of the sudden, I became a happy-go-lucky Mom....not a walking zombie that dreaded the next feeding time. It was a magical transformation a and I never looked back. While I certainly give kudos to those Moms that can manage it, it really wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I just stumbled upon this comment 5 months later! Thanks for sharing your experience - I had no idea!

      Delete