Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What I Ate Wednesday - Fried Ice Cream



WARNING: This recipe is DANGEROUS. For your diet! Haha. But seriously, I have made this recipe multiple times now and people literally devour it. Which is good, because I definitely don't need to have the leftovers in my house for me to eat nonstop.

This recipe for Fried Ice Cream Cake comes from one of my favorite food blogs, South Your Mouth.  The first time I made this recipe, I followed it exactly. Which is exceptionally rare for me! I thought fried ice cream was something super complicated to make and time consuming as well - but I was wrong! Go figure. I would have started making it years ago if I knew... I may also weigh 400 pounds if I had.

The second time I made this recipe, and for subsequent makings, I made a few slight changes just because. I crave the need to make a recipe my own almost as much as I crave fried ice cream. (That's A LOT, by the way.)

Fried Ice Cream Cake (serves 12-ish big portions or 20-ish normal portions...)

Ingredients:

  • 1 stick of unsalted butter
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 4 cups of crushed cornflakes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 quart of vanilla ice cream (MUST be real vanilla, not vanilla bean. Must be REAL ice cream, no fro-yo or other shenanigans.)
  • 1  8-oz container of cool whip, thawed (regular, not low-fat)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • Extra honey for drizzling - you could also use chocolate syrup if you're that kind of person...

Instructions:

1. Set ice cream and cool whip out on the counter to thaw a bit (very specific amount of time here... do not mess this up!) while you work on the crispies.

2. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and salt. Heat and stir until mixture bubbles slightly. Add cornflakes and continue to stir and cook until cornflakes achieve a beautiful golden brown crispiness. Add 2 tablespoons of honey. Set aside to cool or spread 2/3 of the mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan to cool. Try not to eat all of it.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine ice cream, cool whip, and cinnamon with a hand mixer just until thoroughly combined. Spread ice cream mixture on top of the cornflakes evenly. Spread the remaining cornflakes on top. Cover and put in the freezer overnight.

4. Pull out of the freezer about 15 minutes before you want to serve. Drizzle with honey prior to serving. Enjoy, and try not to eat it all on your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment