Monday, July 14, 2014

How to Stay Sane as a Stay-at-home Mom - Part 1: BOOKS!


Some of you may be staring at the title of this post with a shocked expression on your face. "She needs things to occupy her time? As a new mom? To twins???" Yes. I don't know if you've noticed this, but newborns are exceptionally boring. I'm sure it's a world-wide phenomena, not just how it was with my new babies. They eat, poop, cry and occasionally sleep for the first 8 or so weeks before they start to develop their perfect little personalities. Mostly boring stuff.  Now that they're old enough to be interactive, there is the occasional day where I long for this early stage again - but they are mostly awesome now at 16 weeks!

So you're home alone, with 2 newborns, and the largest part of your day is spent feeding them if you were anything like me. We breastfed for the first 8 weeks and it was pretty much all time consuming. One of the things that I liked best about breastfeeding is that once they're latched, you're pretty much hands free. But you're sitting still. Bored. So I kept my Kindle near where I nursed the babies and let me tell you, I got through 9 books in the first 8 weeks! That's a heck of a lot of time. I don't think I have ever had time to read like that before in my life.

I'm a huge fan of my Kindle. It's old. It's a hand-me-down. But it's awesome. I can download books from the library through Amazon and I don't even have to leave the house, ever! One of the main reasons I didn't read too much prior to this amazing Kindle acquisition was that I didn't like to go to the library because it's overwhelming and I found the organization system confusing. That could just be me though. I also just don't like to leave the house. Also, I don't like to pay for books - so as much as I loved to hang out in the bookstore, I just couldn't stand the idea of having to pay so much for a book I would read once or twice. Ughhh. And then along came the Kindle!




I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat waiting to see what I read by this point! Sure, I read a couple of semi-interesting Nicholas Sparks books - but they're SO predictable. Easy reading though. There was one book that shall not be named that I could barely get through. Ugh. And then there were 3 books that I would re-read in an instant - they were fantastic!

3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini


2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel



1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I'm not going to summarize these books because you're all adults and can do your own Google searches but I am going to highly recommend them to... EVERYONE.


Ironically, someone thought these books were all good enough to be made into movies - I found that out after I read them all. I have yet to see any of these movies though because I am afraid they will ruin the precious memories of how good the books were.

I am currently looking for more books to get started on since I came pretty close to depleting my wish list! What suggestions do you have for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment