Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What I Ate Wednesday - Mexican Stuffed Peppers

I have never made stuffed peppers before. I wasn't sure if I would like that.much.pepper. and I figured Andy would politely decline... or maybe not so much politely as just decline. I stumbled upon a photo on Pinterest (me? on Pinterest? NEVER!) that just looked soooo delicious and I somehow had all the ingredients on hand. So I made stuffed peppers. And they were delicious. I also found out you can make them ahead of time, freeze and then just pop in the oven - I LOVE those kind of recipes - you probably would have never guessed, I'm sure.

Follow me on Pinterest for more easy recipes!

Andy was recently diagnosed (I accidentally typed dx here... too much time in the medical field! Gah.) with high blood pressure. He ASKED me to help him manage his diet to help his blood pressure. Something I never thought he would ask, ever! He agreed to eat whatever I would make him. These last two weeks have been fun for sure! So many vegetables. So much healthy! So little salt. These Mexican stuffed peppers met all the requirements.

Mexican Stuffed Peppers (serves two)

Ingredients:

  • 2 Green bell peppers
  • 1 cup cooked rice
  • 1/4 cup corn
  • 1/4 cup black beans
  • 1 tbs taco seasoning
  • 1/2 jar of salsa
  • 1/2 cup water, divided
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
  • 1/2 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 small yellow or white onion


Instructions:

1. Saute ground turkey and diced onion in a skillet until turkey is fully cooked. Add 1/4 cup of water and the taco seasoning and let simmer until no water remains. Add cooked rice, corn, black beans and salsa and cook until heated through.

2. Slice tops off green peppers and clean out seeds and "that white stuff"  - pretty sure they're called membranes but that word sounds disgusting. Stuff peppers (hence the name...) with the taco mixture and place in a baking dish with 1/4 cup of water. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

3. Remove from oven and uncover. Top with shredded cheese and return to oven, uncovered for 10 more minutes. When done, remove from water and let cool. These things will burn your tongue off if you dive right in. No jokes here.

This recipe can be multiplied easily for a large crowd. Can also be made ahead of time (stop before putting in the baking dish and cooking), wrapped in foil or plastic wrap and frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment