Friday, July 18, 2014

Keeping it Simple with Homemade Taco Seasoning

Have your dinner plans ever been knocked down because you ran out of taco seasoning? For some reason I could never keep taco seasoning stocked in my cabinets... I'm not sure if we just went through it so quickly or I kept forgetting to buy it but I never had any! It was a very frustrating predicament to have especially when I went through the effort of meal planning and then had to deviate. Well, a few weeks ago I decided enough was enough and I raided my spice cabinet and made my own taco seasoning. It was delicious. I will never go back to the packaged, processed, extra salty stuff ever again.

Follow me on Pinterest for more delicious recipes!

I made a quadruple batch of this recipe that I found on Pinterest and I store it in a little mason jar. So cute! So thrifty! So delicious! I found out that I already had almost all of the ingredients in my cabinet so I only needed to buy one additional seasoning the next time I went to the store. I have used about a tablespoon for each 1/2 pound of ground turkey that I make (the heck with ground beef, we love ground turkey in the household!)

Try it for yourself and see what you think!

Ingredients: (for 1 oz.) I quadruple this so I can have some ready at all times!
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - (I may or may not have used a tad extra... Hint: I did.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt (I skip the salt completely... it doesn't need it!)
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Instructions: You literally combine all ingredients in a small bowl and store in an air-tight container. Yay!

Fun fact! I used this taco mixture to season the ground turkey for the $2 Taco Salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment